Important Message from Superintendent Cruz
Dear Austin ISD Family,
I hope this note finds you well. I am writing to provide a COVID-19 update, learning at home and meal distribution resources. I know you are concerned, and so am I, so I wanted to make sure we shared some helpful reminders on how you can keep your family and our community safe.
In response to the Stay Home - Work Safe Order issued by the City of Austin and Travis county, AISD schools are closed through April 13. Even though our schools are not open, we will facilitate continuous learning opportunities for our students. Austin ISD staff and families should prepare for schools to be closed for a longer period of time.
Austin ISD is committed to providing ongoing communication regarding district measures taken to assist public health officials in their prevention of COVID-19 (the coronavirus). Please know, this is an ongoing situation. We ask that you refer to austinisd.org/coronavirus for daily updates and the most current information.
Families are encouraged to visit AISD Learning at-Home for instructional activities to use with their students. These activities are designed to keep up the learning, but will not be used for grades.
For information on meal distribution, please visit www.austinisd.org/coronavirus/meals.
For specific information regarding your student and family, please contact your campus principal.
Please remember, the best way to lessen the effects of COVID-19 in our community:
- Reduce our social interactions by 90 percent.
- Practice social distancing: maintain distance of 6 feet (approximately 2 meters) from others when possible.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with the inside of the elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces.
Thank you for the innovation and flexibility you have shown during this time. You are a valued part of our AISD family. Stay safe and remember, we are all in this together.
Paul Cruz, Ph.D.