The P-TECH School model allows students the opportunity to earn a high school diploma while simultaneously earning industry certifications, and an associate degree or Level 1 certificate by high school graduation at no cost to the student. Our Travis P-TECH Program builds upon our highly successful Hospitality CTE program, which has prepared students for a career in the Hospitality field for over 20 years through hands-on learning and the engagement of partners in the Hospitality industry.
The P-TECH is brought to you in partnership with:
- Visit Austin Foundation
- Austin Hotel and Lodging Association
- Austin Community College
The P-TECH program is open admission. All incoming 9th graders are eligible, but students must make sure to submit a complete application. The purpose of the application, and all information requested, is to get to know the student. No personal, academic or other type of information is used to make admissions decisions for this program.
The 2022-2023 Application is NOW OPEN!!
STEPS for Applying to the Travis P-TECH Program
Complete the AISD Common Application through the AISD Parent Portal by January 7, 2022.
Complete the Travis P-TECH Program Supplemental Application Form by January 7, 2022.
- Complete the Travis AVID Interest Form by January 7, 2022.
Please READ the info below carefully:
- The AISD Common Application application must be completed by a parent or guardian. Students cannot create their own Common Application account. Click here for Instructions and assistance with the AISD Common Application.
- If you are an AISD student but your parent does not already have a parent portal account or does not know how to access, follow these instructions for How to Create an AISD Portal Account. These instructions also explain how a parent who is new to AISD can create a parent portal account in order to access the AISD Common Application.
- The Common App asks you to provide information on multiple academic items, but NOTE: the only item required for the Travis P-TECH application is one Teacher Recommendation from English, Social Studies, Math or Science. The other items are optional, NOT required.
- Students can work on the Supplemental Application Form without their parents (although it does need a parent/guardian signature at the end). They can also submit the Supplemental Form before the Common App, but NOTE: both the Common App and the Supplemental Form must be submitted BY THE DEADLINE to have a complete application.
- If you have questions or need help with any step of of the P-TECH application process, contact Vangie Orozco, Project Specialist for Travis Early College Programs (512-414-7715, email@example.com) or Oscar Arroyo, Assistant Principal for Early College Programs (512-414-3563, firstname.lastname@example.org)
All incoming 9th-grade P-TECH students must participate in the AVID program at Travis. AVID is an elective class that provides support to students enrolled in ACC classes by offering tutoring, homework time, and academic/organizational checks. AVID teaches the study and organizational skills needed for college success and offers additional TSI preparation to those who need it. All applicants must submit an AVID interest form along with ECHS application by deadline.
After the Application
Once students have applied and are notified of program acceptance, they must take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) college readiness test. Students will also be asked to participate in summer activities where they receive program orientation, college readiness activities, and TSI test preparation, as needed. Information on testing and other date(s) will be provided with acceptance notification.
P-TECH students pursuing the associate degree must meet TSI college-readiness scores by December, so they can enroll in the first required ACC class in January 2023. Students that do not meet college-readiness scores at this point will have the opportunity to continue further TSI prep and re-testing in the spring semester so they can take the first ACC class in the summer. Students who have not passed TSI by the beginning of their 10th grade, have the option of pursuing the ACC Level 1 Hospitality Certificate option instead of the associate degree.
Regardless of TSI status, all PTECH 9th graders will be enrolled in the Principles of Hospitality class. This is the first class in the P-TECH degree plan (high school class).
About TRANSFER REQUESTS:
Students that are planning to participate in the Travis P-TECH Program and need an in-district or out-of-district transfer to attend Travis HS must first apply to the P-TECH program by the established deadline. Once an acceptance notification is received, please return the P-TECH Commitment Form included with the notification. This will secure that an in-district transfer is processed automatically, if needed. If you need an out-of-district transfer you must also complete the transfer application with the AISD Student Services office.
NOTE: Bus transportation will be provided from anywhere in the district to transfer students who wish to participate in our P-TECH program.