The Travis ECHS program is an open admission program. It is open to any student that meets the eligibility criteria, but students must make sure to submit a complete application. The purpose of the application, and all information requested, is to get to know the student. No personal, academic or other type of information is used to make admissions decisions for this program.
The program has two application periods throughout the year: one in the fall semester and one in the spring semester.
The Fall application is for any 8th-grader, and currently enrolled Travis 9th-grader. Eighth-grade students in any Austin ISD middle school, and from schools outside of Austin ISD, can apply. Students admitted to the program that live outside the Travis ECHS attendance zone and out-of-district students can request a district transfer to attend Travis. Scroll down to see 'About Transfer Requests' information.
The Fall 2022 Travis ECHS Application is NOW OPEN!!
STEPS for Applying to the Travis ECHS Program
Complete the AISD Common Application through the AISD Parent Portal by January 7, 2022.
Complete the Travis ECHS Program Supplemental Application Form by January 7, 2022.
- Complete the Travis AVID Interest Form by January 7, 2022.
Please READ the info below carefully:
- The AISD Common Application application must be completed by a parent or guardian. Students cannot create their own Common Application account. Click here for Instructions and assistance with the AISD Common Application.
- If you are an AISD student but your parent does not already have a parent portal account or does not know how to access, follow these instructions for How to Create an AISD Portal Account. These instructions also explain how a parent who is new to AISD can create a parent portal account in order to access the AISD Common Application.
- The Common App asks you to provide information on multiple academic items, but NOTE: the only item required for the Travis ECHS application is one Teacher Recommendation from English, Social Studies, Math or Science. The other items are optional, NOT required.
- Students can work on the Supplemental Application Form without their parents (although it does need a parent/guardian signature at the end). They can also submit the Supplemental Form before the Common App, but NOTE: both the Common App and the Supplemental Form must be submitted BY THE DEADLINE to have a complete application.
- If you have questions or need help with any step of of the ECHS application process, contact Vangie Orozco, Project Specialist for Travis Early College Programs (512-414-7715, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Oscar Arroyo, Assistant Principal for Early College Programs (512-414-3563, email@example.com)
All incoming 9th-grade ECHS students must participate in the AVID program at Travis ECHS. AVID is an elective class that provides support to students enrolled in ACC classes by offering tutoring, homework time, and academic/organizational checks. AVID teaches the study and organizational skills needed for college success and offers additional TSI preparation to those who need it. All applicants must submit an AVID interest form along with ECHS application by deadline.
After the Application
Once students have applied and are notified of program acceptance, they must take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) college readiness test. Students will also be asked to participate in summer activities where they receive program orientation, college readiness activities, and TSI test preparation, as needed. Information on testing anf other date(s) will be provided with acceptance notification.
If students meet TSI college-readiness scores by summer, they can begin taking ACC classes in August 2022. Students that do not meet college-readiness scores, will have the opportunity to participate in further TSI preparation and re-testing throughout the fall semester, to begin ACC classes in the spring of 2023.
The Spring 2022 application is now CLOSED.
If you have questions about Spring 2022 ECHS Program enrollment, contact Vangie Orozco, Project Specialist for Early College Programs at 512-414-7715 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About TRANSFER REQUESTS:
Students that are planning to participate in the ECHS Program and need an in-district or out-of-district transfer to attend Travis HS must first apply to the ECHS program by the established deadline. Once an acceptance notification is received, please return the ECHS Commitment Form included with the notification. This will secure that an in-district transfer is processed automatically, if needed. If you need an out-of-district transfer you must also complete the transfer application with the AISD Student Services office.